Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring's almost here...

The venal equinox is March 20. But I don't define my seasons based on the movement of the sun. I define them based on the movement of animals.

The first indication that spring is on the way? Chipmunks. They only come out from their near hibernation when they know spring is coming. I've never known them to be wrong. When I see the first chipmunk, I know winter's giving up its last hurrah.

The true indicator of the first day of spring is the Robin. When the Robin is back in the area, spring is here.

I saw my first chipmunk 2 weeks ago. Never mind that there was still 3 feet of snow out our door, I knew spring was almost here. And when E and I were in Cambridge on Sunday, we saw 2 Robins. So spring has made it that far. I give it another week or so before its made its way here.

No comments: