Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Houston, we have a heartbeat!

Today I had an OB appointment, and I met my midwife, A. After going over some info, she got out the Doppler, and I heard the heartbeat! A said it sounded like a boy's heartbeat. Apparently, boys sound like galloping horses, and girls sound like washing machines. A says she's about 80% right, and I should remind her what she predicted when we find out.

It turns out that having hypoglycemia means that I'm at greater risk for having gestational diabetes. So lucky me, I got to take the glucose screen today. They give you a nasty drink, and then take your blood an hour later. Most expecting women get to do this once later in the pregnancy. I'll get to do it at least twice. Woo Hoo (not!)

But, hearing the heart beat was very cool! And I'm getting an early ultrasound next week, since they want to check the age. We're pretty sure I'm 11 weeks, 6 days, but they want to verify that so we know when to do other testing.

No comments: